First things first, you need to be 100% sure you have single-ended tubes and non-shunted tombstones. A simple way to make sure you have a single-ended tube is to look for the L/N sticker at the end of the tube or AC INPUT. Single-end tubes only use one side of the tube, both live and neutral power will be on the same end of the tube, but different pins. The other end of the tube is only used to hold that end of the tube in the socket. This side will have no labels.
The "L" indicates the pin that live power will go into. The "N" indicates the pin that neutral power will go into.
But how do I know if I have shunted or non-shunted tombstones?
You might be able to tell just by looking at the tombstones. You can notice that the wire inputs on the left are only open on one side:
However, if you have the inputs that are open on both sides like shown on the right, the tombstones could still be shunted internally. If you are unsure whether you have shunted tombstones or not, the best way is to check connections with a voltmeter.
If you have shunted tombstones remove them from the socket on the end where the live and neutral wires enter the fixture. Insert the non-shunted tombstones and make sure they snap securely into place.
- Turn of the circuit or disconnect power going to the fixture.
- Remove or disconnect all of the wiring connected to the starter/ballast.
- When removing or cutting the wires from the G13 socket at the end of the fixture that does not have power or the "dead" end, make sure that they are tight in the fixture and will hold your new LED bulbs securely.
- Connect the live and neutral wires to the proper sides of the G13 sockets at the live end. Make sure all wire connections are wire-nutted, wrapped with electrical tape, and make sure the fixture is properly grounded before reassembling it.
- Install your new LED tubes in the fixture and reconnect power.
This is how the wiring should look when you have more than one tube per fixture. You can view or print these steps with the file attached at the bottom of this article.
If you purchased our acrylic single-ended tubes, you can receive complimentary non-shunted tombstones by clicking here. If you have any questions at all, give us a call at 888-846-4973 or open a support ticket.