Before removing the ballast you may want to learn a little more about what a ballast is.
1) Shut off power for your fixture from the source.
2) Locate your ballast. It may be located on the side or in the middle of your fixture.
3) Remove any pieces that may be covering it so it is exposed and you are able to see the wires attached to it.
4) Locate the wires that are coming from your ceiling providing the power source (Live and Neutral power)
5) Cut all of the wires going in to and coming out of the ballast. Please note- Leave the ground wiring untouched.